HOW TO REGISTER COPYRIGHT IN RWANDA
Copyright registration in Rwanda is carried out at Rwanda Development Board
Also, copyright refers to a legal term used to describe the rights that creators have over their literary and artistic works.
Furthermore,works covered by copyright range from books, music, paintings, sculpture, and films, to computer programs, databases, advertisements, maps, and technical drawings.
Procedures for copyright registration
- The applicant must submit his/her application for copyright registration to the office of registrar general (ORG) located at Rwanda Development Board (RDB)
- Submit signed copyright application forms to the Office of the Registrar General (ORG)
- Submit work in simple/ soft copy form
- Provide summary of the work to Rwanda Development Board
- Submit your identification papers such as passport or National Identity Card.
III. Duration of Registration process
Copyright registration in Rwanda takes approximately 15 days from the date of submission of your application.
IV. Fees for copyright registration
Copyright registration in Rwanda is free of charge.
However, if you hire a lawyer or an agent to follow up the process, the cost may range between $600- 1,500$.
V. Advantages of copyright
- Prestige: Copyright protection is that it gives the holder the prestige that a certain work belongs to him or her.
- Legal protection: Protects the owner from possible infringement or pirating.
- Also, in case of piracy or infringement the owner may seek court orders to compel defendants to pay damages.
- Financial gains: Copyright owner benefits financially/monetary from his or her work directly and indirectly.
- Like any other segment of intellectual property, copyright documents are not easy to draft and the process may not seem easy for each and every person who lacks legal knowledge most especially on the Rwandan jurisdiction.